Belmont Stakes: Facts
Jerome Park Racetrack was built in 1866 at Bronx, NY by stock market speculator Leonard Jerome and financed by August Belmont Sr..
The first running, won by a filly, Ruthless in 1867.
The Belmont continued at Jerome Park until 1890 when Morris Park began hosting the race, where it remained until completion of Belmont Park in 1905.
Although from 1963 through 1967 the Belmont Stakes was temporarily run at Aqueduct, it has been run at Belmont Park every year.
In 1911 and 1912, the race was cancelled due to anti-gambling laws in the state of New York but it returned in 1913 and has been running every year since.
At 1 1/2 miles, the Belmont Stakes is the longest of the triple crown races, nicknamed the test of the champion, as in the early days the race was even longer, the current distance was established in 1926.
Another nickname is the run for the carnations, since the winning horse is draped with a blanket of white carnations, similar to both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes traditions.